Harvard MRSEC Publications, 2015 (DMR-1420570)
IRG 1: Mechanics of Soft Materials under Large Deformation
Primary MRSEC support (IRG1)
- Kaplan, C.N., N. Wu, S. Mandre, J. Aizenberg, and L. Mahadevan, "Dynamics of evaporative colloidal patterning," Physics of Fluids 27 (9), 092105-11 (2015).
- Jin, L., A. Auguste, R.C. Hayward, and Z. Suo, "Bifurcation diagrams for the formation of wrinkles or creases in soft bilayers," Journal of Applied Mechanics 82 (6), 061008-061008 (2015).
- Cai, L.H., T.E. Kodger, R.E. Guerra, A.F. Pegoraro, M. Rubinstein, and D.A. Weitz, "Soft poly(dimethylsiloxane) elastomers from architecture-driven entanglement free design," Advanced Materials 27 (35), 5132-5140 (2015).
Partial MRSEC support (IRG1)
- Chaudhuri, O., L. Gu, D. Klumpers, M. Darnell, S.A. Bencherif, J.C. Weaver, N. Huebsch, H.-P. Lee, E. Lippens, G.N. Duda, and D.J. Mooney, "Hydrogels with tunable stress relaxation regulate stem cell fate and activity," Nature Materials 15, 326-334 (2015).
- Huebsch, N., E. Lippens, K. Lee, M. Mehta, S.T. Koshy, M.C. Darnell, R.M. Desai, C.M. Madl, M. Xu, X. Zhao, O. Chaudhuri, C. Verbeke, W.S. Kim, K. Alim, A. Mammoto, D.E. Ingber, G.N. Duda, and D.J. Mooney, "Matrix elasticity of void-forming hydrogels controls transplanted-stem-cell-mediated bone formation," Nature Materials 14 (12), 1269-1277 (2015).
- Gottesman, O., E. Efrati, and S.M. Rubinstein, "Furrows in the wake of propagating d-cones," Nature Communication 6 (7232), 1-7 (2015).
- Liu, Q., S. Huang, and Z. Suo, "Brownian motion of molecular probes in supercooled liquids," Physical Review Letters 114 (22), 224301-17 (2015).
- Wang, Z., Y. Lou, and Z. Suo, "Crack tunneling in cement sheath of hydrocarbon well," Journal of Applied Mechanics 83 (1), 011002-011002 (2015).
- Choi, Y.S., M. Pharr, K.H. Oh, and J.J. Vlassak, "A simple technique for measuring the fracture energy of lithiated thin-film silicon electrodes at various lithium concentrations," Journal of Power Sources 294, 159-166 (2015).
- Jensen, M.H., E.J. Morris, and D.A. Weitz, "Mechanics and dynamics of reconstituted cytoskeletal systems," Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) — Molecular Cell Research 1853 (11), 3038-3042 (2015).
- Kanai, T., N. Boon, P.J. Lu, E. Sloutskin, A.B. Schofield, F. Smallenburg, R. van Roij, M. Dijkstra, and D.A. Weitz, "Crystallization and reentrant melting of charged colloids in nonpolar solvents," Physical Review E 91 (3), 030301-5 (2015).
IRG 2: Digital Assembly of Soft Materials
Primary MRSEC support (IRG2)
- Amstad, E., M. Gopinadhan, C. Holtze, C.O. Osuji, M.P. Brenner, F. Spaepen, and D.A. Weitz, "Production of amorphous nanoparticles by supersonic spray-drying with a microfluidic nebulator," Science 349 (6251), 956-960 (2015).
- Shan, S., S.H. Kang, J.R. Raney, P. Wang, L. Fang, F. Candido, J.A. Lewis, and K. Bertoldi, "Multistable architected materials for trapping elastic strain energy," Advanced Materials 27 (29), 4296-4301 (2015).
- Frutiger, A., J.T. Muth, D.M. Vogt, Y. Mengüç, A. Campo, A.D. Valentine, C.J. Walsh, and J.A. Lewis, "Capacitive soft strain sensors via multicore—Shell fiber printing," Advanced Materials 27 (15), 2440-2446 (2015).
- Duncanson, W.J., T.E. Kodger, S. Babaee, G. Gonzalez, D.A. Weitz, and K. Bertoldi, "Microfluidic fabrication and micromechanics of permeable and impermeable elastomeric microbubbles," Langmuir 31 (11), 3489-3493 (2015).
- Vogel, N., S. Utech, G.T. England, T. Shirman, K.R. Phillips, N. Koay, I.B. Burgess, M. Kolle, D.A. Weitz, and J. Aizenberg, "Color from hierarchy: Diverse optical properties of micron-sized spherical colloidal assemblies," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112 (35), 10845-10850 (2015).
Partial MRSEC support (IRG2)
- Schaffner, M., G. England, M. Kolle, J. Aizenberg, and N. Vogel, "Combining bottom-up self-assembly with top-down microfabrication to create hierarchical inverse opals with high structural order," Small 11 (34), 4334-4340 (2015).
- Perry, R.W., M.C. Holmes-Cerfon, M.P. Brenner, and V.N. Manoharan, "Two-dimensional clusters of colloidal spheres: Ground states, excited states, and structural rearrangements," Physical Review Letters 114 (22), 228301 (2015).
- Kelleher, C.P., A. Wang, G.I. Guerrero-García, A.D. Hollingsworth, R.E. Guerra, B.J. Krishnatreya, D.G. Grier, V.N. Manoharan, and P.M. Chaikin, "Charged hydrophobic colloids at an oil-aqueous phase interface," Physical Review E 92 (6), 062306-10 (2015).
- Manoharan, V.N., "Colloidal matter: Packing, geometry, and entropy," Science 349 (6251), 1253751-26 (2015)
- Amstad, E., F. Spaepen, and D.A. Weitz, "Crystallization of undercooled liquid fenofibrate," Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 17 (44), 30158-30161 (2015).
- Akamatsu, K., S. Kanasugi, S.-I. Nakao, and D.A. Weitz, "Membrane-integrated glass capillary device for preparing small-sized water-in-oil-in-water emulsion droplets," Langmuir 31 (25), 7166-7172 (2015).
- Arriaga, L.R., E. Amstad, and D.A. Weitz, "Scalable single-step microfluidic production of single-core double emulsions with ultra-thin shells," Lab on a Chip 15 (16), 3335-3340 (2015).
- Hackelbusch, S., T. Rossow, D. Steinhilber, D.A. Weitz, and S. Seiffert, "Hybrid microgels with thermo-tunable elasticity for controllable cell confinement," Advanced Healthcare Materials 4 (12), 1841-1848 (2015).
- Wagner, O., M. Zieringer, W.J. Duncanson, D.A. Weitz, and R. Haag, "Perfluoroalkyl-functionalized hyperbranched polyglycerol as pore forming agents and supramolecular hosts in polymer microspheres," International Journal of Molecular Sciences 16 (9), 20183-20194 (2015).
IRG 3: Controlling and Using Instabilities in Soft, Elastic Materials: Melded-Function, Non-Linear, Devices
Primary MRSEC support (IRG3)
- Bartlett, N.W., M.T. Tolley, J.T.B. Overvelde, J.C. Weaver, B. Mosadegh, K. Bertoldi, G.M. Whitesides, and R.J. Wood, "A 3D-printed, functionally graded soft robot powered by combustion," Science 349 (6244), 161-165 (2015).
- Overvelde, J.T., T. Kloek, J.J. D'haen, and K. Bertoldi, "Amplifying the response of soft actuators by harnessing snap-through instabilities," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112 (35), 10863-10868 (2015).
- Shan, S., S.H. Kang, Z. Zhao, L. Fang, and K. Bertoldi, "Design of planar isotropic negative Poisson's ratio structures," Extreme Mechanics Letters 4, 96-102 (2015).
- Shian, S., K. Bertoldi, and D.R. Clarke, "Use of aligned fibers to enhance the performance of dielectric elastomer inchworm robots," Conference Proceeding SPIE, 9430 94301P-94301P-9 (2015).
- Wang, P., L. Lu, and K. Bertoldi, "Topological phononic crystals with one-way elastic edge waves," Physical Review Letters 115 (10), 104302-5 (2015).
- Connolly, F., P. Polygerinos, C.J. Walsh, and K. Bertoldi, "Mechanical programming of soft actuators by varying fiber angle," Soft Robotics 2 (1), 26-32 (2015).
Partial MRSEC support (IRG3)
- Monn, M.A., J.C. Weaver, T. Zhang, J. Aizenberg, and H. Kesari, "New functional insights into the internal architecture of the laminated anchor spicules of Euplectella aspergillum," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112 (16), 4976-4981 (2015).
- Babaee, S., P. Wang, and K. Bertoldi, "Three-dimensional adaptive soft phononic crystals," Journal of Applied Physics 117 (24), 244903-5 (2015).
- Babaee, S., A.S. Shahsavari, P. Wang, R.C. Picu, and K. Bertoldi, "Wave propagation in cross-linked random fiber networks," Applied Physics Letters 107 (21), 211904-5 (2015).
- Javid, F., E. Smith-Roberge, M.C. Innes, A. Shanian, J.C. Weaver, and K. Bertoldi, "Dimpled elastic sheets: A new class of non-porous negative Poisson's ratio materials," Scientific Reports 5, 18373 (2015).
- Lim, Q.J., P. Wang, S.J.A. Koh, E.H. Khoo, and K. Bertoldi, "Wave propagation in fractal-inspired self-similar beam lattices," Applied Physics Letters 107 (22), 221911-4 (2015).
- Liu, J. and K. Bertoldi, "Bloch wave approach for the analysis of sequential bifurcations in bilayer structures," in Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 471 (2182), 20150493 (2015).
- Shian, S., K. Bertoldi, and D.R. Clarke, "Dielectric elastomer based 'grippers' for soft robotics," Advanced Materials 27 (43), 6814-6819 (2015).
- Shim, J., P. Wang, and K. Bertoldi, "Harnessing instability-induced pattern transformation to design tunable phononic crystals," International Journal of Solids and Structures 58, 52-61 (2015).
- Wang, P., F. Casadei, S.H. Kang, and K. Bertoldi, "Locally resonant band gaps in periodic beam lattices by tuning connectivity," Physical Review B 91 (2), 020103-4 (2015).
- Guo, C.F., Q. Liu, G. Wang, Y. Wang, Z. Shi, Z. Suo, C.W. Chu, and Z. Ren, "Fatigue-free, superstretchable, transparent, and biocompatible metal electrodes," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112 (40), 12332-12337 (2015).
Primary MRSEC support (Seed)
There were no primary supported Seed publications citing the Harvard MRSEC (DMR-1420570) during 2015.
Partial MRSEC support (Seed)
- Lee, D., J.J. Vlassak, and K. Zhao, "First-principles theoretical studies and nano-calorimetry experiments on solid-state alloying of Zr-B," Nano Letters 15 (10), 6553-6558 (2015).
- Lee, D., G.-d. Sim, K. Zhao, and J.J. Vlassak, "Kinetic role of carbon in solid-state synthesis of zirconium diboride using nanolaminates: Nanocalorimetry experiments and first-principles calculations," Nano Letters 15 (12), 8266-8270 (2015).